Energy Sells Homes
Benefits of Natural Gas Appliances

The Facts About Natural Gas

Research: Homebuyers Prefer Natural Gas

Today's smart homebuyers prefer homes equipped with natural gas.

Natural gas provides a level of comfort and convenience you just can't get with other energy sources. Plus, it's clean and reliable.

Here's more information about why natural gas is a great choice for homebuyers. Take a look so you'll be ready to answer your clients' questions.

You may find that when you sell them on clean, reliable natural gas, you can sell them on a particular house too!


The Benefits of Natural Gas Appliances

Homeowners like the cozy feel of natural gas heat, the seemingly endless supply of hot water, and the convenience of cooking with natural gas indoors and out. Communicating these benefits to your clients will help them find the home they want. Natural gas is great for:
 
  • Warmer heat - A natural gas furnace produces air up to 25 degrees warmer. They also have a longer operational life and require less maintenance.
  • Hot water fast - Gas water heaters heat water twice as fast compared to most electric models and are up to 27 percent cheaper to operate.
  • Gourmet cooking - 97 percent of professional chefs prefer cooking with natural gas. And gas-cooking equipment is 50 percent cheaper to operate.
  • Instant warmth - Gas logs provide instant warmth with the flip of a switch or remote control. They are clean and convenient - no messy ashes or wood to buy.
  • Quick clothes drying - Gas clothes dryers work up to three times faster and cost up to 50 percent less to operate.
  • Easy outdoor grilling - Natural gas grills eliminate the need for messy charcoal or heavy tanks that need refilling. They emit 30 percent less greenhouse gases than propane grills.

Top of page


The Facts About Natural Gas

According to the National Association of Home Builders, natural gas homes have a 4 percent higher resale value than electric homes. Among the reasons why:
 
  • Natural gas is the top energy choice among homebuyers; 70 percent of new single-family homes in the U.S. featured natural gas heat (American Gas Association, 2002). In South Carolina, 90 percent of new homes in SCE&G's service area have natural gas.
  • Gas appliances are more efficient than ever. With new gas appliances, homes today use 22 percent less gas than in 1980.
  • Natural gas is environmentally safe and burns cleaner than all other fossil fuels.
  • Natural gas is produced domestically. The U.S. produces 85 percent of the natural gas used by American consumers. The remaining 15 percent is mainly from Canada. Middle East oil prices have little effect on natural gas prices.
  • It's safer than ever. All new gas appliances feature the latest safety innovations, including flame guard protection on gas water heaters. Natural gas is non-toxic and odorless. A rotten egg odorant is added so if there is a leak, it's easily detected.

Top of page


Research: Homebuyers Prefer Natural Gas

Natural gas homes and appliances are a popular choice with new homebuyers. 2004 SCANA Market Research shows that:
 
  • 54 percent of customers who recently purchased a new all electric home said they would have chosen gas, and many would have paid more to have it if they had the option.
  • 45 percent of new homebuyers believe that a home with natural gas appliances is worth more than one without.
  • Nearly 20 percent of gas customers with gas heat and water heat report that they would also like gas ranges and grills.
  • After location, energy efficiency was the most important attribute for new homebuyers.
  • 50 percent of new homeowners believe gas appliances are more economical than electric models.
  • New homeowners who purchased an all electric home mentioned gas logs as the gas appliance they would most like to have.
  • Nearly 80 percent of natural gas customers chose to have natural gas in their home, saying it was significantly important.

Top of page

Follow scegnews on Facebook Follow scegnews on Twitter Subscribe to me on YouTube SCE&G is a BBB Accredited Electric Company in Cayce, SC