Quick Facts about Natural Gas
So why choose natural gas? Because it’s the right fuel for so many reasons:
- Versatility -- Natural gas can be used for warm heating, seemingly endless water heating, faster clothes drying, outdoor grilling, lighting and mood-setting fireplaces.
- Efficiency -- More efficient appliances have helped people reduce their energy consumption by 22 percent since 1980.
- Safety -- Natural gas is non-toxic and lighter than air. Plus, all new gas appliances feature the latest safety innovations.
- Consistent, Reliable Supply -- Natural gas comes from underground pipelines, so there’s no worry of running out or forgetting to arrange for a delivery.
- Future Possibilities -- Once a home is connected to natural gas, it’s easy to convert appliances or add other natural gas amenities later.
- Environmentally Friendly -- Natural gas is the best energy alternative because it produces 60 percent less carbon dioxide and burns cleaner than all other fossil fuels.
- Abundant Domestic Production -- Eighty-five percent of the natural gas supply used by Americans comes from right here in the United States.
- Easier, More Affordable Maintenance -- Clean burning natural gas equipment means less maintenance and repairs over the years.
- Increased Home Resale Value -- Adding natural gas amenities to a home pays dividends down the road when it’s time to sell – about a four percent higher resale value over electric-only homes.
- Comfort and Convenience – Natural gas will keep your home comfortable even during a power outage.
Research: Home Buyers Prefer Natural Gas
Natural gas homes and appliances are a popular choice with new homebuyers. Recent SCANA Market Research shows that:
- In a recent study, 75% of SCE&G customers receiving both electricity and natural gas stated that it is important to have natural gas as a choice.
- More than 70% of SCE&G’s natural gas customers strongly feel that the availability of natural gas positively influences a new home purchase decision.
- Two-thirds of SCE&G natural gas customers strongly feel that having a home with natural gas is smart.
Request copies of the ‘Homebuyers Prefer Natural Gas’ brochure.