CAYCE, S.C. (December 30 , 2009) – Many South Carolinians will declare their New Year’s resolutions this weekend. This year, SCE&G encourages customers to consider making a resolution they can stick with for the entire year and that will benefit not only themselves, but the planet: a resolution to become more energy efficient.
Becoming more energy efficient is easy to do, and often requires only simple actions to generate benefits throughout the year. Check out these tips and more at www.sceg.com/energytips.
Top 10 Energy Efficiency Tips for the New Year:
1. Set your thermostat at 68 degrees in the winter, 78 in the summer
2. Install a programmable thermostat
3. Replace your incandescent light bulbs with more efficient compact fluorescent bulbs
4. Install light timers, dimmers and motion sensors
5. Seal your home’s air ducts to minimize the loss of conditioned air
6. Insulate your attic
7. Buy Energy Star appliances
8. Cook efficiently throughout the year, not just around the holidays
9. Discover the benefits of clean burning, energy efficient natural gas and replace aging electric water heaters with natural gas tankless water heaters or old heat pumps with a natural gas furnace.
10. SCE&G Customers can monitor their energy use with a free online Energy Analyzer Tool
Additionally, those interested in reading weekly energy savings tips can find even more ideas on the SCE&G EnergyWise blog at www.sceg.com/blog.
South Carolina Electric & Gas Company is a regulated public utility engaged in the generation, transmission, distribution and sale of electricity to approximately 654,000 customers in 24 counties in the central, southern and southwestern portions of South Carolina. The company also provides natural gas service to approximately 306,000 customers in 38 counties in the state.