Columbia, S.C. (Oct. 5, 2011) – October is Energy Awareness Month, and as the temperature cools, SCE&G is reminding customers of its EnergyWise® programs that include a number of rebates and incentives to help customers save money and be more energy wise.
"Saving energy is easier than ever before, thanks to the tools and resources available through our EnergyWise® programs," said Felicia Rhue Howard, director of SCE&G’s Demand Side Management. "We’re committed to helping our customers find ways to be energy wise and save money, and these programs help give homeowners all the choices they need to make their home more energy efficient."
EnergyWise® programs available to SCE&G residential customers include:
- ENERGY STAR® Lighting – Provides customers with instant discounts of up to $3.00 per bulb (through Nov. 30) when purchasing select ENERGY STAR® qualified lighting products from participating retailers.
- Home Energy Check-up – Includes a visual inspection to identify ways in which SCE&G residential customers can better manage energy consumption. Free to all SCE&G residential customers.
- Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® – Enables customers to receive rebates up to $2,500 for making home energy improvements recommended by a Building Performance Institute certified contractor.
- Heating & Cooling and Water Heating Equipment Program – Includes cash-back rebates up to $525 on ENERGY STAR® qualified central air conditioning systems and heat pumps and on non-electric resistance water heating equipment from licensed contractors.
- Heating and Cooling Efficiency Improvements – Additional cash rebates up to $150 are also available for customers who make certain energy efficiency improvements to a home’s existing heating and cooling system.
- ENERGY STAR® New Homes – Provides rebates for builders while simultaneously offering homebuyers energy-efficient upgrades on a new home and the opportunity to lower their monthly energy bills.
- Natural Gas Appliance Conversion Rebates - Provides incentives for customers who switch to natural gas. Customers who convert to a natural gas furnace, water heater (tank or tankless), cooktop or natural gas logs are eligible to earn bill credits up to $200. Additional information is available online: www.sceg.com/value.
To learn more about the rebates and incentives available to SCE&G customers, as well as tips and ideas on how to be more energy wise, visit www.sceg.com/energywise or call 1-877-510-7234. Additional tips are available throughout the month of October via twitter: www.twitter.com/scegnews.
About Energy Awareness Month
Energy Awareness Month began in 1981 as American Energy Week, growing into the current one-month observance at the U.S. Department of Energy in 1986. President George Bush proclaimed October Energy Awareness Month in 1991.
South Carolina Electric & Gas Company is a regulated public utility engaged in the generation, transmission, distribution and sale of electricity to approximately 664,000 customers in 24 counties in the central, southern and southwestern portions of South Carolina. The company also provides natural gas service to approximately 313,000 customers in 38 counties in the state.