Please download the Flash plug-in
to view the interactive contents of this page.
Switching to Natural Gas is Easy!
The first step in converting your home to natural gas is to check for natural gas availability.
Once gas availability has been determined, converting your appliance(s) to natural gas is easy and involves just a few steps:
- We’ll meet with you at your home to determine the appropriate gas meter location and discuss all available rebates and tax credits.
- SCE&G will install the service line from the street to the predetermined meter location on your home. Digging is required. However, we will restore your lawn by reseeding and replacing any landscape if necessary.
- A contractor of your choice will install your natural gas equipment in your home and will run the fuel line to the gas meter location.
- Your contractor installing the equipment will file for the required permit with the local inspection department to have an air-pressure test of your line. When it passes inspection your line will be marked with a green tag. This step must be completed before SCE&G can set and turn on your gas meter. Most jurisdictions also require a final inspection of the gas equipment.
- We’ll schedule our meter crew to set your gas meter. They may need access to your home to see the gas equipment or the thermostat. Also, your heating dealer or contractor will want to return and start up the heating system to be sure it is working properly.
- After the inspection is complete, call our Customer Service Center toll-free at 1-800-251-7234 to have your account activated. At least one piece of natural gas equipment must be completely installed before activation.
Soon, it will be time to sit back, relax and enjoy the superior efficiency, comfort, convenience and reliability of natural gas.
Earn Bill Credits when You Convert to Natural Gas
You can earn bill credits on your natural gas bill when you convert to the following natural gas appliances:
|Natural Gas Furnace
|Natural Gas Water Heater (Tank or Tankless)
|Natural Gas Cooktop
|Natural Gas Logs
(Please allow 6-8 weeks for processing bill credits)
For additional information, including qualifications and limitations, call Customer Service at 1-800-251-7234.