A greener workplace means a lighter ecological footprint, a healthier place to work, and good news for the bottom line.
Share these tips with your staff and — don’t forget — make sure everyone has a small recycling bin so that recycling is just as easy as throwing paper away.
- Set computers to energy-saving settings and shut them down at the end of the day.
- The greenest paper is no paper at all, so keep files on computers instead of in file cabinets.
- Buy recycled printer paper and use both sides of the page when appropriate.
- Consider replacing incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescents. Outfitting each workspace with one of the new high-end LED desk lamps will also save energy.
- Supply staff with pens and pencils made of recycled materials.
- Take advantage of instant messaging, video conferencing and other workflow tools that make effective telecommuting a reality.
- Use biodegradable soaps and recycled paper in staff bathrooms and kitchens, and provide biodegradable cleaners for the custodial staff.
- Recycle used printer cartridges.
- Set the thermostat at 68º in the winter and 78º in the summer to better manage your office’s heating and cooling costs.
- Ask everyone to bring in a mug or glass from home to eliminate using paper cups.
Bring Your Green to Work with Energy Star.