Be prepared before, during and after a storm. Below are some helpful resources and tips to help keep you and your family safe.
Storm Emergency Kit Checklist
Before the storm:
- Talk with children about storms and how you are preparing to keep them safe.
- Assign an emergency meeting place in case your family gets separated.
- Write down the important points in your plan so it's clear who will handle each task.
- Identify a "safe room" where your family can take cover.
- Check that SCE&G has your correct phone number on file for reporting power outages.
During the storm:
- Talk or read to your children. Explain what is happening.
- Stay indoors and away from windows.
- Turn off and unplug any non-essential electrical equipment in your home. Power surges can damage electronic equipment.
- Use supplemental generators with extreme caution. Pay attention to the manufacturer's instructions. Visit our Safety During Power Outages page to learn more about generator safety.
- Report power outages online or call 1-888-333-4465.
After the storm:
- Use caution when moving around your house and the outdoors.
- Watch your children closely.
- Stay away from downed power lines and the water puddles near these lines. Call to report emergencies such downed power lines at 1-888-333-4465.
- Stay tuned to local news for weather updates.