Cayce, S.C. (Dec. 9, 2016) – It’s Winter Weather Preparedness Week in South Carolina. In observance, SCE&G is offering tips to help customers be more energy efficient and prepare for colder months ahead.
“Colder weather is on the way, but there are simple steps homeowners can take to save energy and help hold down heating costs,” said Ginger Greenway, manager of energy information services for SCE&G. “It all starts at the thermostat. There’s a common misconception that it takes more energy to heat up a house than it does to keep it at the same temperature all the time. Turning down the thermostat several degrees at night, or when you are away, will always save energy.”
SCE&G also offers the following cold weather energy efficiency tips:
- Set the thermostat at 68°F or lower during colder months. Each degree above 68° can significantly increase heating costs.
- Be aware that if you have a heat pump, you should only move the temperature up 1 to 2 degrees at a time until you reach the desired temperature setting. This helps avoid activating the auxiliary heat mode (heat strips) unnecessarily.
- Caulk around windows and replace old weather stripping around doors to keep the cold air out.
- Consider installing a programmable thermostat that automatically lowers the temperature even further than 68° overnight or while no one is at home.
- Check air filters. Dirty air filters increase your energy usage and can also damage your heating system. Be sure to use filters approved for your specific system.
- Open curtains on your south-facing windows during sunny days to allow sunlight to naturally heat your home. Close them at night to reduce any chill or drafts.
SCE&G customers can also utilize the company’s free Home Energy Check-ups and other tools to improve their home energy efficiency this winter and year-round. More energy efficiency tips and offers can be found by visiting www.sceg.com/energywise.
Budget billing also can help SCE&G customers avoid fluctuations in their bill, particularly weather-related ones. Here’s how the program works:
- Based on a home’s usage history, SCE&G will estimate bills for the next 12 months and spread that amount into 12 equal payments.
- For more details on the Budget Billing program or to sign up, customers can call toll-free at 1-800-251-7234 or visit www.sceg.com/budgetbilling.
SCE&G is always ready to help customers weather the effects of temperatures. Customers with any payment concerns are urged to make a call before their payment is due. SCE&G customer service representatives can be reached 24 hours a day, seven days a week by dialing toll-free: 1-800-251-7234.
South Carolina Electric & Gas Company is a regulated public utility engaged in the generation, transmission, distribution and sale of electricity to approximately 707,000 customers in 24 counties in the central, southern and southwestern portions of South Carolina. The company also provides natural gas service to approximately 353,000 customers in 38 counties in the state.