Cayce, S.C. (July 26, 2017) – Summer weather is heating up, but staying comfortable doesn’t have to drive up energy costs. SCE&G customers can take some easy steps to manage energy use and may also request a Home Energy Check-up for a more personalized energy-savings assessment.
"During the summer, and year-round, we recommend that customers take advantage of SCE&G’s free Home Energy Check-up,” said Ginger Greenway, manager of energy information services for SCE&G. “It’s a great way to identify the areas where your home is losing energy, and the best part is that it's specific to your home.”
To learn more about SCE&G's Home Energy Check-up program and submit a request form, visit https://www.sceg.com/for-my-home/save-energy-money/home-energy-check-up.
Tips for managing summer energy use:
- Set thermostats at 78 or higher. It especially helps to raise it several degrees higher than your comfortable setting when you are away, especially for several days at a time.
- Keep blinds and windows closed during the day to keep out radiant heat.
- Use fans to help you feel cooler. Remember to turn them off when you leave the room.
Year-round energy savings tips:
- Check air filters monthly; change when dirty or according to manufacturer guidelines.
- Keep HVAC vents and interior doors open to keep air flowing freely to and from the unit.
- Have central heating and cooling systems professionally serviced annually.
- Set water heaters to 120°F and visually inspect them occasionally for leaks.
- If you have a gas water heater, turn it to “vacation mode” when away for several days.
- Unplug appliances, lights, TVs, computers, etc. when not in use.
- Caulk, seal, and weather-strip around all seams, cracks and openings to protect against drafts. Be sure to caulk and weather strip all exterior doors and windows to keep the conditioned air in your living space.
SCE&G is always ready to help customers weather the effects of temperatures. Customers with any payment concerns are urged to make a call before their payment is due. SCE&G customer service representatives can be reached 24 hours a day, seven days a week by dialing toll-free: 1-800-251-7234.
South Carolina Electric & Gas Company is a regulated public utility engaged in the generation, transmission, distribution and sale of electricity to approximately 713,000 customers in 24 counties in the central, southern and southwestern portions of South Carolina. The company also provides natural gas service to approximately 361,000 customers in 36 counties in the state.