CAYCE, S.C. (Oct. 1, 2018) – Fall is here, which means cold winter weather is just around the corner. In observance of national Energy Action Month this October, SCE&G reminds customers to become wise about their energy use.
“Saving energy is easier than ever before, thanks to the tips and programs available through our EnergyWise website,” said Ginger Greenway, SCE&G manager of energy information services. “We’re committed to helping customers find ways to be energy wise and save money.”
One of the first steps customers can take on their path to energy efficiency is getting a Home Energy Checkup. With this free service, an SCE&G Energy Team expert assesses the home and makes recommendations to improve its energy efficiency.
In preparation for the colder months ahead, SCE&G reminds customers of tips to stay comfortable while managing heating costs:
- Set the thermostat at 68 degrees or lower during colder months. Each degree above 68 can significantly increase your heating bill.
- Consider installing a smart thermostat that automatically lowers the temperatures even further than 68 degrees overnight or while no one is at home.
- Caulk, seal and weather strip around all seams, cracks, and openings – especially exterior doors and windows – to protect your home from drafts. Check air filters monthly and change them when dirty. Also, check duct work for leaks and tears.
SCE&G also offers EnergyWise programs to eligible residential customers to help decrease energy use:
- ENERGY STAR Lighting Discounts Program provides customers with instant discounts when purchasing ENERGY STAR certified LED bulbs, smart lighting and TrickleStar advanced power strips.
- Appliance Recycling Program enables customers to receive $50 cash back when they recycle their full-sized refrigerators or freezers.
- Heating & Cooling Equipment Program allows customers to receive rebates toward the cost of purchasing and installing new ENERGY STAR qualified central air conditioning and heat pumps, as well as making ductwork improvements in existing residences.
- Natural Gas Appliance Conversion Rebates provide incentives for customers who switch to natural gas. Customers who convert to a natural gas furnace, water heater (tank or tankless), cooktop or natural gas logs are eligible to earn bill credits up to $200.
To learn more about rebates available to customers, as well as tips and ideas on how to be more energy wise, visit sceg.com/energywise. SCE&G also has rebates and incentives for businesses at sceg.com/for-my-business/save-energy-and-money. Follow SCE&G on Twitter at @scegnews or on Facebook at scegnews for the latest energy efficiency tips throughout the month.
South Carolina Electric & Gas Company is a regulated public utility engaged in the generation, transmission, distribution and sale of electricity to approximately 727,000 customers in the central, southern and southwestern portions of South Carolina. The company also provides natural gas service to approximately 373,000 customers throughout the state.