CAYCE, S.C. (Jan. 14, 2019) – SCE&G, a subsidiary of Dominion Energy, reminds residential electric and gas customers facing financial hardships, including those impacted by the federal government shutdown, that they may be eligible to receive assistance through one of the company’s customer assistance programs.
“We understand that the federal government shutdown and other challenging situations may be making it difficult for some of our customers to pay their electric and gas bills,” said Sam Dozier, vice president of Customer Service. “In fact, a widely reported financial study ranks South Carolina among the top 25 states most affected by the federal government shutdown. SCE&G offers special payment arrangements as well as various customer assistance programs that may help. We’re dedicated to serving our customers’ needs, whether that’s through one-time assistance or longer-term assistance.”
In addition to Budget Billing, which provides a more predictable energy bill every month, SCE&G partners with community action agencies throughout its service territory to provide customers with the following assistance programs, including:
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program – provides home energy assistance to help eligible low-income households meet their home heating and/or cooling needs.
- Project Share – provides assistance to low-income, disabled and elderly customers for their electric and natural gas service.
- Salvation Army Energy Assistance – provides support for customers with immediate energy assistance needs.
For more information about SCE&G’s Customer Assistance Programs, visit sceg.com/assistance. To set up a special payment arrangement, call Customer Service at 800-251-7234.
Customers are also encouraged to revisit energy-saving measures during the winter. Follow these tips to save energy:
- Set your thermostat to 68 degrees or lower. Each degree higher can significantly increase your heating costs.
- Caulk, seal and weather-strip around all seams, cracks and openings to protect against drafts.
- Adjust your drapes and blinds according to the time of day. To benefit from the sun’s natural warmth, keep your drapes and blinds open during daylight hours and close them during the night to reduce the chill you may feel from cold windows.
For additional energy efficiency tips, visit sceg.com/energytips.
South Carolina Electric & Gas Company is a regulated public utility engaged in the generation, transmission, distribution and sale of electricity to approximately 728,000 customers in the central, southern and southwestern portions of South Carolina. The company also provides natural gas service to approximately 374,000 customers throughout the state.
About Dominion Energy
Nearly 7.5 million customers in 18 states energize their homes and businesses with electricity or natural gas from Dominion Energy (NYSE: D), headquartered in Richmond, Va. The company is committed to sustainable, reliable, affordable, and safe energy and is one of the nation's largest producers and transporters of energy with about $100 billion of assets providing electric generation, transmission and distribution, as well as natural gas storage, transmission, distribution, and import/export services. As one of the nation's leading solar operators, the company intends to reduce its carbon intensity 60 percent by 2030.
Through its Dominion Energy Charitable Foundation, as well as EnergyShare and other programs, Dominion Energy contributed more than $30 million in 2018 to community causes throughout its footprint and beyond. Please visit www.DominionEnergy.com, to learn more.