CAYCE, S.C. (Oct. 1, 2019) – Fall is the perfect season to think of ways to make your home more energy efficient, and it doesn’t have to cost a lot of time or money.
“A few small changes can make an impact on energy savings,” said Ginger Greenway, Dominion Energy South Carolina manager of Energy Information Services. “We are committed to helping our customers find ways to be energy wise and save money through the programs and tips offered on our EnergyWise website. National Energy Action month, which is in October, is the perfect time to get started.”
Start with these four simple changes in preparation for the colder months ahead:
- Set the thermostat at 68 degrees or lower during colder months. Each degree above 68 can significantly increase your heating bill.
- Install a smart thermostat that automatically lowers the temperature even further than 68 degrees overnight or while no one is at home. Make sure the thermostat is installed properly and is compatible with your HVAC unit.
- Caulk, seal and weather-strip around all seams, cracks, and openings – especially exterior doors and windows – to protect your home from drafts. Check air filters monthly and change them when dirty. Also, check ductwork for leaks and tears.
- Schedule a Home Energy Check-up. This free service for customers includes an in-home visit from a Dominion Energy South Carolina energy expert and an assessment of your home with recommendations on ways to improve its energy efficiency.
Dominion Energy South Carolina also offers other programs to eligible residential electric customers to help decrease energy use:
- EnergyWise Online Savings Store is giving away up to 20,000 LED 5-packs (60-watt equivalent) Oct. 1 through Nov. 30, while supplies last.
- Appliance Recycling Program enables customers to receive $50 cash back when recycling full-sized refrigerators or freezers.
- Heating & Cooling Equipment Program allows customers to receive rebates toward the cost of purchasing and installing new ENERGY STAR qualified central air conditioning systems and heat pumps, as well as making ductwork improvements in existing residences.
- Small Business Energy Solutions provides discounts to eligible small businesses for energy efficient refrigeration and LED lighting upgrades.
To learn more about programs and rebates available to customers, as well as tips and ideas on how to be more energy wise, visit DominionEnergySC.com/energywise. Dominion Energy South Carolina also has rebates and incentives for businesses at DominionEnergySC.com/for-my-business/save-energy-and-money. Follow Dominion Energy South Carolina on Twitter at @DomEnergySC for the latest energy efficiency tips throughout the month.
About Dominion Energy
Nearly 7.5 million customers in 18 states energize their homes and businesses with electricity or natural gas from Dominion Energy (NYSE: D), headquartered in Richmond, Va. The company is committed to sustainable, reliable, affordable and safe energy and is one of the nation's largest producers and transporters of energy with more than $100 billion of assets providing electric generation, transmission and distribution, as well as natural gas storage, transmission, distribution and import/export services. The company expects to cut generating fleet carbon dioxide emissions 80 percent by 2050 and reduce methane emissions from its gas assets 50 percent by 2030. Please visit www.DominionEnergy.com to learn more.