How an EDI System Works
Businesses that use EDI software and systems follow certain protocols for exchanging data electronically. Each transacting party is categorized as a trading partner and exchange mutual agreements that define a commercial transaction.
Subsequent transactions are then communicated in a standardized manner through an intermediate company called a Value Added Network (VAN) or via File Transfer Protocol (FTP) with PGP encryption. Using a third-party VAN permits trading partners to communicate through a central clearinghouse.
Setting Up EDI Billing
(allow approximately 3-5 business days)
- Step 1: Complete and return an EDI Billing Customer Agreement, available through your account manager or the billing department. If you are a third party billing aggregator, complete and return a Third Party Agreement.
- Step 2: Once the necessary agreement(s) are received, the EDI billing department will contact you to explain the electronic testing requirements and schedule a date for testing to begin.
- Step 3: We will transmit a set of test invoices specifically used for EDI certification to ensure a successful download of invoices into your financial processing system.
- Step 4: Once testing is complete, your account will be switched to EDI, and you will no longer receive paper bills. The EDI billing department will notify you when the first EDI invoice is initiated.
- EDI Software - You will need to purchase and install EDI translation software capable of receiving the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) X-12, Utility Industry Group (UIG), Transaction Set 810 Invoice.
- DUNS Number or Other Unique Identifier - You will need to obtain a Dun & Bradstreet Number (DUNS), a common company identifier in EDI and global e-commerce transactions. Obtain a DUNS number by calling 1-844-241-5191 or by visiting Dun & Bradstreet. Dominion Energy can also accept a unique identifier in lieu of a DUNS number.
Setting Up EDI Payments
Dominion Energy South Carolina also offers EDI payments through the ACH network, using the CCD+ or CTX format. For payment setup, execute two originals of the ACH agreement, available from your account manager or by contacting Talesha Funchess in Dominion Energy’s Treasury Services at 803-217-8404. Return to the address noted on the form.