Signs of a Gas Leak
Natural gas is non-toxic, colorless, odorless and lighter than air. An odor is added to help you detect a potential gas leak. Signs include:
- A rotten egg odor.
- Discolored or dead vegetation over or near the pipeline.
- A hissing, whistling or roaring sound near a gas appliance or pipeline.
- Dirt/debris blowing into air; persistent bubbles in water-covered areas.
- Flames (if a leak has ignited).
If a leak occurs
- Leave the area immediately.
- Warn others to stay away.
- From a safe place, call 911 and Dominion Energy South Carolina at 1-800-815-0083.
What NOT to do If you suspect a gas leak
- Do not try to turn natural gas valves on or off.
- Do not smoke, use a lighter or strike a match.
- Do not use any electric switch, telephone or cell phone, garage door opener or flashlight as they can cause sparks and ignite gas.
- Do not start or stop nearby vehicles, machinery, or things that may spark.
If you are planning to dig on your property, follow these important steps:
- Call before you dig. State laws require that before digging, you call SC811 by dialing 811 or by visiting SC811.org to have your lines located at least 3 full working days before you begin any excavation work in South Carolina.
- Wait. At no cost to you, technicians will mark the location of the utility lines on your property. Once all lines are marked, you can then safely begin your digging project.
- Respect the markings for your safety.
- Dig with care. If you accidentally hit the pipeline, no matter how minor it may seem, leave the area immediately and call Dominion Energy from a safe place at 1-800-815-0083 and 911.
If a pipeline is located on or near your property:
- It is illegal to tamper with or remove Dominion Energy's pipeline markers.
- Permanent structures such as storage buildings, sheds, swimming pools, or bodies of water may not be built within the right-of-way.
- Trees may not be planted within the right-of-way.
- Changing the ground elevation by either adding or removing soil from the right-of-way is not permitted.